Citizens Connect is a mobile app that helps residents report quality of life issues, such as graffiti, directly to the right person at City Hall to take action. The app empowers residents to be the City’s eyes and ears, helping us make our neighborhoods even better.
The app is designed for Android phones and iPhones. When residents launch the app, they select the type of case they are reporting (e.g. pothole, graffiti), snap a photograph of it, and add a note if they are interested. When the residents submit the case, it is routed into the City’s work order management system so that it gets immediately to the right person in City Hall to fix the problem. The resident receives a tracking number and an alert when the problem is resolved. The resident can chose to share their case publicly, and see and follow other cases in their neighborhood and across the city.
Since it launched in 2009, well over 10,000 neighborhood issues a year have been fixed through Citizens Connect. Roughly 20% of all cases received by City Hall now come in through this channel.
Through Connected Bits, the principal partner on the development of Citizens Connect, this app has been replicated in a variety of other cities and been the inspiration for the development of similar apps.
Related Research & Publications
- Citizens Connect: A Smartphone App that Reduces Broken Windows by Daniel O’Brien (Boston Area Research Initiative, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University)
- Coproduction of Government Services and the New Information Technology: Investigating the Distributional Biases by Benjamin Y. Clark, Jeffrey Brudney, and Sung-Gheel Jang. Public Administration Review early view (2013)
- Download data from reports from the Citizens Connect app
- See the most recent Citizens Connect cases
- Connect with Connected Bits, the developer partner on this project
- Download the app for Android phones or iPhones